Week 3 Realism & Liberalism

In this week I have learned a little more about realism and liberalism and on how these two define themselves. Both these theories compete with each other and I have learned that both liberalism and realism views are opposite from each other. One of the main point would be on how liberalism hates the idea of going to war while realism sees it as the only way and gains its perspective from war. people who are realist all believe that power is the way to go in achieving their goals. It is also interesting how they think that realism is what shapes the world and its politics through human nature. At the same time realism tries to maintain the balance of power in every state trying to be equal. The way they do this is by having all states at an equal level because if one state ends up growing more and expanding with power the other states may fear that state, and a war might break out. The comparison that the text relates it to is in the 1930s with the Nazi German and the allied states trying to stop them just to balance the power again. I also wanted to point out that in realism they believe that the heavy action just like going to war is essential and that strong power holders should use this kind of action if it brings them political interests.

As for liberalism it views it in a different way. This group requires actions in a peaceful way without going to war. People who believe in liberalism say that the people are the the controller of the state. This means that they want the people to have the freedom and laws to protect them in the state. In liberalism I also learned that in the states they try to increase military’s strengths to fight off other states but at the same time they try to hold that power so they don’t turn on their citizen’s, so they try to have the citizens control the military’s power. Anything that goes with expanding to a new territory by force is something this theory doesn’t like. To what I understand so far is that their is a democratic theory that goes with liberalism and what they mostly try to accomplish is a way to protect themselves from the wars of other states without taking the liberty of its citizen’s.